This recipe is a weekly staple in our house because
and the kids eat it….
Broccoli is a powerful ‘superfood’ high in:
- Vitamin K helps distribute calcium to harden bone rather than soft tissues such as arteries, gums, etc. (where calcium doesn’t belong)
- Vitamin C a powerful antioxidant that fights free-radicals and also helps formation of collagen (helllo anti-aging)
Broccoli also contains a healthy dose of folate, potassium, and fiber.
In addition to fresh broccoli, we use:
- avocado oil — roasting in a high-heat oil helps absorb the Vitamin K while also getting healthy fats (I have found it least expensive at Costco).
- himalayan sea salt — choose over table salt because it’s higher in natural minerals. We buy this kind at Costco or online.
- nutritional yeast — high in natural B vitamins that gives the broccoli a nice cheesy, nutty flavor
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast strain—aka Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Its benefits include:
- Immune support
- Reduction in inflammation
- Improvement in glucose sensitivity
- Support of hair, skin, nail health
It’s nutty/cheesy flavor makes it a go-to cheese substitute in many vegan diets. In addition to being and is also naturally dairy-free, it is also naturally gluten-free.
You can find it in most grocery stores or online. I buy this brand online because it is the highest quality for the best price that I have found (and it doesn’t take us long to go through a 1 pound bag)
Ultimate Roasted Broccoli
- ) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- ) On a large sheet pan, spread out broccoli florets into a single layer
- ) Drizzle with avocado oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and nutritional yeast. Toss to combine.
- ) Roast for about 15-20 minutes until stems are fork tender.