Want to heal your gut? Bone broth.
Want your hair and nails to grow? Bone broth.
Want to boost to your immune system or heal faster? Bone broth.
The stuff is amazing. The specific amino acids and gelatin structure of the broth nourish, soothe, and protect the delicate intestinal lining. It is a necessary food for healing and restoring a healthy gut.
Bone broth can be easily stored in the freezer for several months. I try to make a whole-chicken recipe a few times each month so that we constantly replenish our bone broth stores. We then have it on hand to conveniently use in soups, sauces, etc. I have tried storing it in several ways, but I like these containers the best for easy storage.
If you are buying store-bought, this is my go-brand and can be found in most stores. But if you plan a little bit in advance, making it at home is just too easy.
- 1 whole chicken (preferably organic, free-range)
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 3 carrots (cut into 3rds)
- 3 celery stalks (cut into 3rds)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 whole onion, cut into quarters (skin on)
- 1 punch fresh parsley
- filtered water
- In a small dish, mix together salt with Italian seasoning mixture
- Place the carrots, celery, and onion pieces in the bottom of the instant pot.
- In the sink, remove all inside giblets that come with the chicken, and rinse out with water
- Thoroughly season the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and seasoning mixture. Place it on the wire rack that came with your Instant Pot and set it on top of the veggies.
- Fill instant pot to "max line" with filtered water
- Pour apple cider vinegar in and let it soak for ~45 minutes
- Put the parsley in the instant pot and set on the soup setting, increasing to 90 minutes on high pressure.
- When it is complete, release pressure from the instant pot and drain contents through a strainer into a large bowl (let it cool a bit before this--it is HOT!)
- Pour bone broth into separate containers to store (I use these)
- Refrigerate overnight and skim any fat layer off the top
- Store in the refrigerator up to a week or the freezer up to 6 months